Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tyler Hopkins

Before I tell you all about my date with Tyler, I need to just say that I have the most hilarious family ever! This is only a small sampling of the text messages I received from my siblings regarding this date:

"Hey, I've got a question I was hoping you could help me out with. What is the legal stance in Utah on dating cousins? Are 1st cousins the only ones off limits? Are 2nd cousins taboo? What do you think?"

"What do you get when you have a drunk sailor, a man in a cow costume and two cousins on a date? . . . . . . . . A drunk sailor, a man in a cow costume and Bek's plans for the evening."

"Hey, you go girl. Don't worry at all. Just remember, Adam and Eve's kids married siblings . . . so at least you're not dating Mark."

"New dress for blind date . . . $120. Trip to get hair done for blind date . . . $75. Checking ancestry.com and finding out you're going on a blind date with your cousin . . . PRICELESS!"

and my all time favorite

"Mark wants to know if your date tonight is only a date or if you can also count it as family home evening."

My Grandmother's maiden name was Hopkin (no s) and she grew up right here in Utah, so I really don't think I have any relation to Tyler Hopkins whose family is from Idaho.

I think we're safe, and it's a good thing, because I had so much fun with Tyler tonight. He drove all the way out to Bountiful to pick me up and drive me all the way back to his place where we made fajitas for dinner. Tyler is an excellent cook. The fajitas were absolutely delicious! You know how I like a guy who can cook. :)

After dinner we went outside and Tyler made a campfire in his backyard. We made 'smores and played one of the funnest first date games I have ever played in my life. Date ball. Tyler had spent the afternoon writing about 100 different questions on a beach ball. We tossed the ball back and forth and every time Tyler would catch the ball I would call out a finger and he would have to answer the question under that particular finger. He did the same for me and we went back and forth like this until we ran out of firewood. So fun and creative!

I found out all sorts of stuff about Tyler but the thing I liked the most was that he loves to tell stories. For every answer he had a story to go with it. At one point, I felt like I was being boring date because Tyler's answers/stories were much better than mine. But maybe that's just because I had super good luck in getting Tyler to answer the really good questions. If my toes weren't frostbitten I would have loved to stay out there by the fire all night and listen to Tyler answer every question on that ball.

If Tyler and I get to go out on a second date, maybe I'll let him write the next blog post since he really is a superb storyteller.

8 comments:

Vanessa said...

This is my favorite entry yet, and for several reasons:

1) Hello! The fact that you may or may not be dating your cousin is fantastic. I have a cousin that once dated a long-distance cousin by accident, and the story never EVER gets old!

2) I love the beach ball thing! How creative!

3) Look at the smile on your face! Beautiful, relaxed, genuine.

Anonymous said...

Mark's family home evening comment was priceless!! Love the date, and have to agree with Vanessa about your smile.

dre said...

So my question is, now that you are a week into this do you still get the "first date excitement" or does it feel pretty normal like showing up to work everyday.

You got to be honest, the excitement of a first date is they are few and far between. Are you even bored with tell each guy your "story" every time like work, live, likes, dislikes?

Just trying to fathom what 30 dates is like!

Oh and do we get to vote for who gets the 2nd date?

Ryan and Amy Harvey said...

Sounds like a fun date...I am loving reading all about them.

Amy said...

Okay...so as one of your siblings that had the enjoyment of making fun of you all night for dating a cousin, I do hope he's not related because you guys look completely happy together in your photo. It sounds like you had a great time!

Just one more question for you.

If you end up with Tyler and I ever get the question, "Did your sister meet her boyfriend at the family reunion?" Would you like me to refer them to you or just say...Possibly! :)

Ah, good times. Good times.

katwalk said...

you guys do look alot alike,, forehead, chin smile just saying :)

Rebekah said...

Dre - first of all, I love that you comment so much! You're the best visiting teacher ever!!!! :) Yes, I still get the "first date butterflies." Every guy is different so I rarely find myself having the same conversation twice.

Do you want to vote for one of the second dates?

Anonymous said...

I love Tyler even more after the flowers!